Lyndhurst Mansion, Tarrytown, New York

lyndhurst tarrytown, lyndenhurst, new-york
lyndhurst tarrytown, new-york
1600x1200
 
lyndhurst tarrytown, new-york
1024x768
 
lyndhurst tarrytown, new-york
200x150
 

 

Lyndhurst Mansion - Lyndenhurst

 

Romanticism dominated the arts during the 19th century America and it was during this time the grand mansion of Lyndhurst was first conceived in the minds of architect A. J. Davis and William Paulding who constructed the villa in 1838. They called it the "Knoll" at first and the Gothic Revival design immediately drew notice to the building. Admirers also called it "Paulding's Folly" due to its fantastic turrets and asymmetrical outlines, a type of architecture seldom seen in post-colonial era homes.


As the norms of wealth and status changed with the growing nation, so did the estate, reflecting the tastes and interests of wealthy society New York. In 1864-65 Davis doubled the size of the manor for the second proprietor, New York merchant George Merritt, who renamed it "Lyndenhurst", after the Linden trees that were planted on the property. 


Railroad magnate Jay Gould bought the estate as a summer home in 1880. He used Lyndhurst as an escape from the pressures and stress of his business. Jay Gould's daughter, Helen, was given charge of the home upon her father's death. She was involved in various humanitarian works during her lifetime. After her death in 1938, her sister, Anna, Duchess of Talleyrand- Perigord, maintained Lyndhurst until her death in 1961 in which the 67-acre estate was passed to the National Trust for Historic Preservation.


The grounds at Lyndhurst endure as an outstanding illustration of 19th century landscape design. Sweeping lawns accented with shrubs and specimen trees, a curving entrance drive revealing "surprise" landscapes and views, the angular-sharp repetition of the Gothic roofline in the evergreens, as well as the nation's first steel-framed conservatory. A latter addition was the rose garden and fernery.

 
2013 US Pictures